As is the case for all diseases, early diagnosis is the most significant factor that affects success of treatment in chest diseases. The mission of Chest Diseases Department is to make the diagnosis at early stage and to increase chance of cure by efficiently using all up-to-date means of the medicine at Güven Hospital.
Following disorders are diagnosed, followed up and treated as well as pulmonary functions are preoperatively tested in pulmonary medicine department: lung cancer, pulmonary nodule, pneumonia, pleurisy, bronchiectasia, asthma, COPD, interstitial lung diseases, pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary embolism, respiratory failure, pulmonary involvement of systemic diseases (pulmonary and extra-pulmonary tuberculosis), respiratory disorders in sleep and allergic conditions.
Patients with suspected lung cancer are assessed by a council consisting of thoracic surgeon, medical oncologist, radiation oncologist, nuclear medicine specialist and radiologist along with the pulmonologist in order to plan treatment and follow-up.
The examinations performed in the Pulmonary Medicine department are as follows:
• Respiratory Function Tests (Reversibility tests, Bronchial provocation tests, Helium diffusion test, PEF monitoring)
• Arterial blood gas analysis
• Sleep tests (Somnolence surveys, Whole night polysomnography, PAP titration)
• Respiratory rehabilitation
• Training for patients-chronic diseases and use of devices
• Smoking cessation unit
• Allergy unit (skin prick tests, drug tests, food intolerance tests, drug desensitization, vaccination therapy, protection methods)
• EBUS method has a critical role in early diagnosis of lung diseases and selection of treatment method. EBUS (Endobronchial Ultrasonograpyhy) is at your service in Güven Hospital!